A toolkit to make hosting your own postcard event super simple!
Want to do something this election cycle, but not sure where to start?
This Tool Kit is here to help you host your own Postcard Writing Party to help #FeedOur Democracy and #MeetEatActivate to make a difference.
What’s a Postcard Writing Party?
The name of this party says it all: gather people together to either write postcards to their lawmakers about a cause or upcoming vote that’s important to them. or write to remind people to GOTV: get out the vote.
Host it in a private home, or even at a big table at a public coffee shop. You’d be surprised how many people join in.
You can copy and one of these graphics for your invitation. We like Paperless Post’s free invitation flier, simply add your own date/time/place for the party to the invitation. Make sure your invite is set to private and share the invitation link with your guests. (Of course if you’re hosting in a public place, you can opt to make the invitation public as well)
Where to get Postcards
Many online graphic designers and artists have created and shared postcards themed specifically to oppose the Trump administration that you can send to your representatives. Just download, print on cardstock, write your own message and send to your government representative. They’re free!
Online #Resistance postcard resources:
- Design Crush’s 24 Printable #Resistance Postcards
- Design Crush and 17 More Printable #Resistance Postcards
- Cards to Congress
- Printable Dear Senator/ Dear Representative by Oh So Beautiful Paper
- Postcards from the People
- Postcards for the Resistance
- Love Letter America
If you’re doing a GOTV event, Postcards to Voters is a great place for one-stop shopping! They provide everything from guidelines, to postcard templates, to verified voter addresses from campaigns that need your help.
Need an issue to write to your representative about? How about doing more to ease the refugee crisis? Postcards for Peace has a downloadable postcard to help you do just that.
- Pre-printed postcards (select from above) for your guests to choose from
- Pens (optional: different colors)
- Notepads for drafting your postcards
- Your Congressional representatives’ addresses pre-printed on paper for your guests. (Find their office addresses here: https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials)
- Download some nifty Feed Our Democracy printable event decor here. We’ve got designs you can use for
IMPORTANT NOTE: Federal Election Commission regulations set the limit a private individual may spend on supplies for a partisan event at $1000 per host. Please make sure you are in compliance with these regulations if you plan to host a GOTV (Get out the Vote) event for a particular candidate.
If your guests ask how they can help prepare, ask them to bring their own stamps and supplies to help you defray costs.
Have a few postcards already written, and print out a few suggested messages to inspire your attendees. Consider having a few talking points written out ahead of time, if you can, so people will get ideas. Spread out your supplies so people can get to work right away.
Put out some snacks – or have people bring their own. If you’re at a cafe, each person can order for themselves, or you can run a tab and pass the hat to pay the bill.
Keep speechifying to a minimum. Introduce the event, then say a bit about why you’ve decided to host this event. You’re there to Meet, Eat and Activate!
Writing your representatives and keeping the pressure on elected officials is important work, as is getting out the vote. But should you and your guests want to offer financial support as well, you might consider asking them to donate to organizations that support voter registration drives, or fair voting practices.
Register your event – We’re building a virtual and real-life community of active citizens. By registering your gathering, you help us keep track of the impact we’re making together, one #FeedOurDemocracy event at a time.
- Read and agree to our Code of Conduct.
- Use the hashtag #feedourdemocracy and tag @feedourdemocracy on Instagram and Facebook and @meeteatactivate on Twitter
- Follow up! Thank you guests and remind them of the good they did in helping to #FeedOurDemocracy